My shining star

My shining star

Saturday 26 May 2012

A day with Hels

Hello there! Hope  you're all well and happy! I've had a fab day a a workshop with lots of lovely ladies and one chap - run by Hels Sheridan - here's what I made!



This mirror started out as a plain pine coloured one from Ikea ( about a pound!) - I used cut and dry foam to add black paint to the frame then heated it to dry. After it was dry I sanded it then added vintage photo distress ink which I again dried with a heat gun - did a little bit of spritz and sprinkle with water but it didn't show up too well.

The letters were in silver metal paper and black paint was dabbed onto them to age them. The butterflies were from the papillion dies - I used old paper distress stain, victorian velvet distress stain and ink and aged mahogony distress stain and ink to colour the butterflies then added beads with cosmic shimmer glue to make the bodies. The 'dummy' was cut from the sewing room dies - as was the bobbin. I used vintage photo and victorian velvet to colour these and distressed the edges with my scissors. The wings were cut from grunge paper and coloured in the same way. A ribbon was dyed and added to the dummy waist and a flower plus some tim holtz alterations (tassels and a bead on a pin).

The flowers were cut from the tattered florals dies - 3 flowers each and put together in the same way as shown by Hels on her blog (pinkleart.blogspot.com). The leaves were dyed using shabby shutters distress ink and then the flowers and pins applied using a hot glue gun.

I'm sure there's loads of stuff I've missed - but it was a brilliant day - thanks to Redanne - it was great to meet you and of course to Hels for such a fabulous workshop!

Hugs Rachel xx

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel

    I really enjoyed meeting you too, it made all the difference having someone lovely to chat to. Your photo is brilliant, I am going to post mine tomorrow (I hope) because David took a couple of photos of us (I hate photos so he sneeked up on us) and I want to show that too if I can figure how to get it off his camera - will do my best! Hels is such a lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great piece of work Rachel! Sounds like you had an amazing time at the workshop, it's always great to share crafting time with others. Well done!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous project Rachel and I am well and true pea green with hints of dark emerald! I love Hels work and hope to go on one of her workshops one day - it's lovely to hear from someone who did and how much you enjoyed it hugs Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab creation Rachel - so pretty - you're so clever!

    Thanks for dropping in and leaving me a comment.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Toodles

    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel, decided not to show the photos as it is not fair without permission but I will send them to you if you e-mail me at anne.redfern@sky.com. Hope you have a lovely day in the sunshine. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful mirror sweetie full of wonderful details , I love the buttons and the cotton reel, glad you had a lovely day
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, you have been busy since my last visit! Sorry for the lack of comments lately but I've been quite unwell again xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw I was gutted I couldn't come to the workshop :( looks like you had a fabby time xx lovely project

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for leaving a comment - it really does mean a lot to me! Hugs Rachel xx