My shining star

My shining star

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Hold on to your hats - the rollercoaster is peaking and dipping!

Afternoon all. Well its been a bit of a rollercoaster day. It started with a call at around 4am from the hospital to say there was a heart for Shaun. Luckily my mum and dad were staying over so I was able to head off to the hospital and got there around 6.30am. Shaun and I sat for a few hours until the transplant coordinator came and told us that unfortunately the heart was not healthy enough - it was a bit of a blow but in many ways its reassuring to know that they will only use a good quality organ. Fingers crossed that next time the call comes it will be a viable heart for Shaun.

I should be sleeping now but its not happening so I thought I would blog this that I made for the mixed media challenge at WOW powders this month. I started off by trying to alter an assemblage clock using the deer and trees but everything was too dark - luckily I saw this post by Anna Karin on the timholtz blog. It was the inspiration I needed to finish my piece off.


I used a burlap panel and painted it using distress paints. Then I stamped snowflakes onto a piece of card using versa mark and heat set white pearl wow powder before then adding distress ink over the top -this was then added to the inside of the panel to form a snowy backdrop. I added pebeo matt medium to the bottom of the panel then sprinkled with glitter. The deer was create using a Tim Holtz die cut around 8 times in 300gsm card and then these pieces were all stuck together. I rubbed versamark over the surface then covered with white sparkle wow powder and heat set. The trees were sprayed with first green then silver distress stain sprays and allowed to dry before adding to the scene. Finally I added a tim holtz good times band.

I'd like to enter this into the following challenges:


Hope to see you again before the end of the month but we will have to wait and see!

Big hugs and thanks for your comments!

Hugs

Rachel xx

21 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised you can't sleep Rachel, your head must be all over the place, not to mention how poor Shaun must be feeling. Sending positive thoughts and prayers that better days are not too far away.

    And you still managed to create lovely pieces of artwork to share with us, this one is a delight as your work always is. I tried so many times to get this Timmy die but it's always out of stock, but I did get a rather nice Penny Black one instead.

    I am so pleased you managed to find time to join in at Stamping Sensations this month, thank you so much.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachel, no wonder you can't sleep, what a day for both of you. Fingers crossed for next time.
    This is fabulous, I love the colours and the reindeer looks fabulous.
    Hugs
    Linda xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rachel, what a stressful time for you both, well done for seeing the positive side of things - just like you! I do hope it's better news next time.
    Your project is gorgeous, such a wonderful winter scene.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, sorry to hear that your hopes have been raised and dashed so quickly, but as you say, at least they making sure that things are the best they can be before the operation goes ahead. I am sure life must be roller coaster for you all at the moment but there are so many positive vibes, thoughts and prayers being sent your way so keep this in your heart and mind at all times.
    A beautiful creation as always Rachel and thank you so much for taking time out of your busy life and all that must be going on in your mind to write a comment on my blog, I truly appreciate it, more than you know.
    Hugs to you all
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous make. Hoping and praying the right heart becomes available soon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel. I feel for you. We have been their, and it was Gillian our daughter was giving her brother one of her kidneys they were all set then Gillian got an infection, that put a complete stop on the whole thing. Luckily he got a kidney a few months later. So you right is the roller coaster is dipping and driving. Just give it time their will be a good heart out there for Shaun. Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least as you say they will only use a healthy heart and fingers crossed it will be soon -I love your beautiful project and love the trees and deer -thank you for your comments on my blog and please don't feel you have to while you are under such stress-I definitely won't take offence lol
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly have been on a roller coaster ride, but I guess it is reassuring to know that the heart must be just right. Hope you get some proper sleep tonight!
    Your burlap panel is fab-u-lous!! I love it! Big Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachel, you must be so tired by now. To-morrow will be a new day and hopefully Shaun won't have to wait to long. Love your card and those christmas trees are divine. Hugs to you and the girls. Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachel, oh how I feel for you both, I just can't imagine what today must have been like for you both, but it is reassuring that the team won't let anything but a healthy heart be used. I hope one comes along soon.
    Lovely make the elements you've used are terrific, your in my thoughts, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachel, what a time of highs & lows for you!
    I hope a good jhealthy heart becomes available for Shaun soon! Reassuring to know that they won't proceed unless everythng is right though!
    Love your card! Hope you got some sleep!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Rachel, I am so sorry that you had your hopes dashed at the last minute but I am sure you won't have to wait too much longer. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    This is gorgeous, such a fabulous design and wonderful detailing.
    Thinking of you and sending you big hugs
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep your heart pumping with the love you have for Shaun and another one will turn up, better to be healthy but a bit of a blow at the last minute...prayers for you guys...
    FABULOUS card and love this cute image and colours used.xx
    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Rachel I feel for you and I just can't begin to imagine how stressful this must be. You always keep smiling and stay positive - go girl!!!! Your positivity and lovely manner is just what Shaun needs to keep him going and I hope the right heart comes soon for both of you! Love your card what a gorgeous design. Hugs Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant project Rachel, hope you slept better last night, I certainly did

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you have managed to get some sleep Rachel.
    No wonder you could not sleep. Hopefully next time and hopefully soon.
    Brilliant project LOVE it

    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great Rachel, I just adore deer. Sending hugs to you all and hoping another heart becomes available soon for Shaun.
    Hugs Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a day you must have had, hope another become available soon and you got a better nights sleep last night. It's best to get it right the first time round. I love your project and the gorgeous deer.

    Hugs to you all.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely project Rachel. Sending hugs to you all and hoping that another heart becomes available soon.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Rachel, just to let you know that I am thinking of you all. Take care my friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keeping my fingers crossed for better news for you next time. A fabulous Christmas creation, Rachel! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month and good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for leaving a comment - it really does mean a lot to me! Hugs Rachel xx